Some Of My Poetry...

I've been attending an open mic night in Burton on Trent for a few years, I used to share my blogs posts, short stories, plays and even on occasional an attempt at 'Stand Up' but recently I've been writing more and more poetry so I've posted some below...

But first here's a photo of a Helmeted Guinea Fowl I took this morning... for no other reason than I quite like the photo (totally raw off the camera no cropping or colour change)



And now for some of my poems....

Mariana Trench
By
Simon Elson

Marina Trench, have you met her?
Four have been where the world is a blur
Untouched by man? She’s miles deep
Nope, plastics we put there are single use, cheap

Hand over 5p for a disposable bag
Add bottles and cartons , it makes me sad
For all the whales who swallow it
Gobbling up all our plastic shit

Everest, world’s highest council tip
Treating the mountain like a skip
Forty tons of rubbish and human waste
All of mankind should be disgraced

Junk, Millions of kilos in space
sent into orbit for a so called race
Circling miles above our head
Polluting the cosmos, tears should be shed

Cities gassed with vehicle pollution
We look to electric cars for the solution
Are they really the long term answer?
Ask the child cobalt miners with cancer.

Paid eight pence a day to die
I’m using clean energy is your alibi
Carrier bags for shopping cost the same
Our selfishness is completely insane

Millions begging. housing crisis
So we build homes with ridiculous prices
Cover the hedges stop the birds from nesting
To build them quicker, morals disgusting

We think we own the planet, but it’s not ours
It belongs to all species even flowers
We treat it with disrespect and contempt
Look after our world? we think we’re exempt.


And here's a poem inspired by computer graphic dog and horse racing, and wondering what my dad would think if he could see how far technology had come in just the twenty years since he died, Oh and there's a nod of respect to Billy Joels 'We didn't start the fire'

Virtual Racing

   Virtual racing
Online shopping
Streaming Music
Netflix

Searching Google
Seeing Doodles
Driverless Cars
Elon Planning trips to Mars

Paying with phones
Tiny helicopter drones
Stupid pictures becoming memes
Billion pound football teams

Pickled fish displayed as art
3D printed body parts
Headsets showing fake Reality
Pods making Coffee and Tea

TV Chefs designing Glasses
Jeans pulled down showing asses
Average house 200 grand
Tour de France winner from England

We think we’re so smart and clever
And we will be around forever
If the atmosphere doesn’t make us choke
The world may explode in a puff of smoke


A poem about Fitness Trackers.

 So You’ve bought a fitness tracker
To prove you’re not a total slacker
I’ve done ten thousand steps today you cry
Is that more than before you bought it I sigh

Not really you admit
There’s only one way to get fit
Eat less Coffee and walnut cake
And move around more, you fitness fake



Finally 3 Haiku's - Japanese style of  short poem - Non rhyming  consisting of  3 lines of 5 - 7 - 5
Syllables

1.
 I have a short list
People I won’t swerve a round
It stays in my head   


2.
Difference between
Ignorance and apathy

I Don’t know, don’t care


3.
  Is Use of rhyme site
Considered a cheat by poet
Don’t need it, haiku


You probably won't want to steal my School boy poems however......... all poems (c) Simon Elson 





  

Comments