Christening A Pair of Trainers....



Years ago I went to buy a pair of trainers.. "Will you be doing any running?" asked the assistant, I said "Maybe to catch the odd bus or perhaps last orders at the pub...." I think she cracked a slight smile.

Since then I've lost a few stone through cycling and (a bit of) running, which has been chronicled in my E-book Sugar beat - How I controlled T2 Diabetes through cycling  (Amazon Link Here). I blogged about the book on here a few weeks ago so I won't go on about it again.

However in the last month I've done a 10K and a 5 mile run as well as commuting to work by bike still (some of the trips on an MTB.... Eighteen miles round trip on an MTB try it, it's bloody hard work, when I got the Carbon Roadie back out I felt as though I was flying!

Today I did the 5 miler mentioned above in a new pair bought with the fee from an article I wrote for Writing Magazine, hence christening them, wearing a pair of running shoes for actual running.

Why all the running suddenly? you might be wondering. Well at a check up recently the nurse said my levels were coming down and if they continued to come down perhaps I could be weaned off the T2 medication. I'll explain a little bit, before I took cycling every couple of check ups the medication seemed to go up a bit, so I decided to lose a bit of weight, three stone lighter the meds started to come down.

This time the nurse was quite optimistic about my condition reversing itself if I carried on as I was was. All the articles I've read about this before involved severe sudden weight loss, extreme 600 calorie diets and only having the condition for a year or two at the most.

At around thirteen stone (and 5ft 10") I was within normal tolerances and have been for a few years. I have the condition over twenty years after a very inactive period covering my twenties and thirties. I thought the reversing ship had sailed a long time ago. but no the nurse feels it could happen, so I want to lose about another stone with slightly healthier eating (I'm pretty good anyway) and more exercise hence the running.

After the run I stopped at my favourite cafe... I resisted the bacon sandwich or cream scone and just had a flat white coffee, are you proud of me?

With regard to the weight loss and the possible reversal of the T2........ Wish me luck!           

Comments